13 Indicators of Awakening: Priest/essing as a Spiritual Vocation by Priestess Bairavee Balasubramaniam, PhD
Blessings all. The specific unfolding of spiritual awakening is unique to every Soul. These indicators are not a ‘checklist’ for you to feel the need to follow, but markers which I hope you will resonate with. We are all different, and beautifully so.
(1) You start doing things, knowing that whatever happens is for the Best. You are no longer attached to the Outcome and have total Faith in the idea that ‘Whatever will be, will be’.
(2) You find yourself compelled to assist others (if you can) who show similar signs of awakening. You want to seek out and relate to others who share a similar path. You feel as though you’re working towards something a whole lot bigger than just one person, and you have your role to play in it.
(3) You need to find some time each day, even if it’s just for a few minutes, to commune with the Divine in some form. Over time, your prayers shift from you – to your family – to the wider community – to the Globe – to the Universe – to All-That-Exists.
(4) Prayers no longer feel like a space-time where you ask for something. You give thanks, or more often, simply just Be.
(5) You find yourself at the vanguard of change, watching the skies or sensing shifts in energetic vibrations – and ‘know’ what’s coming.
(6) You place yourself where needed to facilitate as many as you can through those changes. And this is important: You do so, not out of Ego, or ‘playing the Hero(ine)’, but because … that’s … just what you do, who you are.
(7) You find giving, helping and serving others to be ‘natural’ for you – usually to the point where drawing healthy boundaries tends to be the lesson you seek to learn. (Some might experience the opposite- overly rigid boundaries that need to be loosened or more nuanced)
(8) Very often, you find yourself remarkably stoic or somehow … accepting of life-transitions that seem to hit others like a tonne of bricks. You often play the role of the ‘witness’, ‘holding space’ for others shifting through powerful transformations. People wonder how you do manage to do so much, for so many, in this way.
(9) You are strongly drawn to certain cultures, ceremonies, rituals, artifacts, mantras and have recollections of temples or shrines which you have never visited, or consciously heard of, in this present incarnation. Visiting these places or meeting people who have awakens memories and emotions from a time long past.
(10) You see the World and all of Creation as a Miracle. All of it. The Good, the Bad, the Ugly, the Beautiful.
(11) You find yourself frequently inhabiting multi-verses, or multiple worlds at once. Hidden or veiled information is shown to you. And as you learn more, you see that your knowledge is given for you to use it in service of a Truer Cause.
(12) You take absolutely nothing for granted, and constantly seek to exist in a state of balance or equilibrium with your inner and outer worlds – and in the grand scheme of the Cosmos.
(13) You _know_ you’re magic. And you’ve got a job to do with all the wonder and miraculous energy that is You.
Blessings to All,
Priestess Bairavee Balasubramaniam, PhD
Image: Prayer Offerings at Manakamana Temple (Nepal), 2014. Photo by Bairavee Balasubramaniam. All rights reserved, please do not use without obtaining prior permission.